Applies to: SmarterMail (all versions)
POP is a protocol used to retrieve email messages from an Internet email server. Generally, when you use POP is it best to use it from one particular computer. When you download your messages, the POP email server stores them for your later retrieval. If you go to another computer to connect and retrieve that same message, it will no longer be on the POP server.
You can also download a copy of new e-mail messages and not delete items from the POP3 e-mail server. This is useful if you check your POP3 e-mail account from a number of computers or profiles. For example, you can download a copy of the messages on your work computer, and then on your home computer, you could download the e-mail messages and delete them from the POP3 server.
If you’d like to setup POP on your Outlook account:
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail accounts
- On the email accounts page, select add new email account
- On the server type page, select the POP3 radio button and click next
- On the email accounts page, type in all the information requested, i.e., your name, email address, etc
- Click More Settings
- Click the Outgoing Server tab
- Check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Click OK
- Click next and then Finish