What is a Rogue Antivirus Program?
A rogue antivirus program is a program which installs itself on a user’s computer, many times without the users knowledge, and uses malicious tools to slow their computer down and convince the user that they have spyware, viruses, and adware in their computer. The software will continue to show popups to the user in hopes that they will purchase the software. It also uses exaggerated results to scare the user into purchasing the software. However, the software will not remove any spyware or viruses at all.
Generally, the software is downloaded through a trojan horse and then installed on the user’s computer.
According to Panda Security, these attackers have a 3.4 percent sucess rate and are making around 14 million in revenue per month.
The three biggest rogue antivirus programs currently out in 2010 are Malware Defense, Internet Security 2010, and Personal Security. Most rogue security programs have been cloned into new threats and therefore have similar characteristics.
Thanks to VirusRemovalguru.com here is how to remove this problem.
Common symptoms and characteristics of Antispyware Soft and other rogue security programs include:
1. Antispyware Soft is generally installed without user permission.
2. Antispyware Soft uses pop ups and fake virus scans to scare the user.
3. Various antivirus and system programs on the user’s computer will stop functioning.
Antispyware Soft will generally block all applications unless the executable file is iexplore.exe. Antispyware Soft will also generally modify Internet Explorer connection settings to make Internet Explorer connect through a proxy server. This comment below may provide insight into fixing the connection settings of Internet Explorer.
The comments below may also provide insight into removing Antispyware Soft.
Manual Antispyware Soft Removal – In order to manually remove Antispyware Soft, the processes associated with Antispyware Soft must be stopped, the files associated with the processes must be removed, and the registry entries must be corrected to the previous state before Antispyware Soft entered the computer.
Stop Antispyware Soft Processes (Learn How To Do This)
Remove Antispyware Soft Files (Learn How To Do This)
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\[random letters]\
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\[random letters]\[random letters]tssd.exe
Remove Antispyware Soft Registry Keys (Learn How To Do This)
Remove Antispyware Soft Startup Entry (Learn How To Do This)
Common Questions -
1. What is a computer virus? (Click Here To View)
2. How did I get this computer virus? (Click Here To View)
3. What common symptoms show that my computer may be infected? (Click Here To View)
4. What is a rogue security application? (Click Here To View)
5. What are some antivirus and antispyware programs which I can use to remove viruses and spyware? (Click Here To View)